Creating Video that matters

When I started my commercial photography business, I always wanted to create more than just a pretty picture. Don’t get me wrong, I like pretty pictures as much as the next person. But they are a waste of time on a business web site if all they do is provide some free entertainment to the viewer.

So I combined my marketing background with my photography skills to create images that help put dollars in the till of my clients. That is, I look carefully at the target audience and find out what turns them on. I then set about creating an image for my clients that relates directly to that audience and builds a demand for their services.

Whilst I have been doing videography for many years, I have tended to keep it to the basic interview type of work. But the more I look around the more I see videography trying to be very pretty, but not really relating back to the market. Stunning shots using drones is great fun and makes impressive viewing. But as above it’s just free entertainment unless it somehow creates a demand for the businesses product or service from their ideal market.

So I’m now looking for clients who want to create some impactful videos for their businesses.

I look forward to sharing some on future blog posts.

Oh and I still create pretty pictures, I just sell them direct for people to put on their wall.

Illegal drone use can end in hefty fine!

The rules for drones changed last year and generally made things a little easier and clearer.

If you are flying for fun, and there is no commercial use for the video footage then the basic rules are:

* Keep under 120 metres

* No general public within 30 metres

* Not within 5.5 KM of aerospace.  If there are any other aircraft in the area, EG a helicopter then land immediately.

* Only fly during the day and keep the craft in line of sight. 

* No flying over people, buildings or populated areas like a busy beach.

* Do not fly over emergency situations such as forest fires, accidents etc.

* Depending on what state you are located, you may need permission to fly in national parks.

If your craft is below 2KG and you wish to fly commercially then you have to apply to casa at www.casa.gov.au and the above guide lines still apply. If you want to fly within these restrictions then you need a Remote Pilot License and an Operators Certificate.

I have fully licensed and experienced pilots who can offer the full service.

The video below outlines other threats lurking to take you down!

PLEASE NOTE the above are general guidance notes and should not be taken as being correct for your location or situation. Visit www.casa.gov.au for full details. If in doubt ask!